Saturday, September 7, 2013

Newspaper


All my life I have wanted my school to have a newspaper that the kids are writing. I mean, there is a newsletter that the principal puts together but not an actual newspaper. And this year when I looked at the elective list I was so excited to find that an option was newspaper! So I signed up and got in, and so far we have had two meetings.

All of the kids doing it are seventh graders, so I know everyone. There are two different groups: one on Monday and Thursday and one on Wednesday and Friday. (I finally spelled Wednesday right!) I am in the latter group, and surprisingly we met first. The first little meeting thing-sha-bob was really fun, we brainstormed the whole time. And if you know me, you know that when I get into something, I get really into something. I was all over the place, making suggestions, going to other groups who were brainstorming and asking what they thought. Let's just say after that class I was  pumped.

The next class we got to pick the jobs, and guess what I was chosen for? The faith column! I wanted to be editor, but the faith column was my next choice! What I was planning for if I did get in the faith column, I would pick something from my blog and put it in there, and maybe at the bottom add the address, and wahlia! Advertising! (my dad would be so proud!)

So even though I was a mite disappointed that I wasn't editor, I planned to make the best of it. (I guess I have improved from the last time). And then my teacher said that we're probably going to need more editors, so if anyone wanted to be one they could ask.

And there it was! My golden opportunity! Or more silver, I guess. So I raised my hand and asked if I could be editor along with someone else, and my teacher said yes. If I was pumped before, now I was blowing out of air with excitement.

But wait, there's more! (I sound like a commercial now...)

Only one person was in the faith column, and even though there would be another group, my teacher switched me to faith and editor. How much better could it get? I get to edit peoples stories and talk about God! I don't think I could even answer that question.

The only thing that I might have trouble with in the newspaper is the large group. There's around 35-40 people in all, all working for one newspaper. It's going to be pretty chaotic, but I hope I can handle it.

If you are ever offered the opportunity to work (or write, edit, take pictures or anything else, I guess) for your school newspaper, I would suggest doing it. There are so many different jobs and for each one you can incorporate God, your life, and your opinions in it. What better way to evangelize?

Also, its pretty educational. (I bet that reason just made you send an email to the newspaper, asking if there is an opening. :))

I will definitely let you know once the newspaper is out, and pray it will go okay!
So, ta-ta for now readers!
All through Christ,
Maddie


No comments:

Post a Comment