Sunday, March 23, 2014

Lenten Disclaimers: (Lenten Series Part Three)


We’ve all heard them before. “Oh, since technically we are supposed to give up things for 40 days during Lent, and Sundays don’t count, I can eat my chocolate on Sundays.”

Or, “Since we can’t eat meat on Fridays, I’ll just go to Red Lobster and eat myself sick.”

These, ladies and gentleman, are Lenten disclaimers.

1.      The “Sundays don’t Count Rule”: If you want to get specific, Sunday’s don’t count… partly. There are 40 days in Lent and since each Sunday is considered a “mini-Easter”, Sunday’s aren’t a part of those 40 days. But does that mean that we should gorge on that chocolate we gave up or be mean to your siblings on Sundays?
There are pretty much two opinions on this. Firstly, some people believe it is okay to gorge little since Sunday’s do not count in Lent. (To find out why that is, go here )
I mean, if Sunday’s are mini-Easters, we should be allowed to stop fasting… right?
Then there’s the other side of the rainbow, the people who think “If Jesus died on the cross for us, the least we can do is go four more days without Instagram, internet, etc.”

What is your opinion on this?

For me, it is the latter opinion. I think we can go four more days with our Lenten promises. I mean, if you gave up chocolate and ate it on Sunday, is still as big as a sacrifice as it is for 40 straight days? I mean, Jesus fasted for 40 straight days and he didn’t get a break. I guess I could see it kind of as cheating. I know other people see it other ways, but hey, this is my 10 cents. J

Actually, my former parish priest said it was okay to gorge on Sundays. But, let me warn you, if you do decide to take the day off on Sundays, make sure you do it in moderation. Remember, this is supposed to be a sacrifice.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0527.html

2.      “Let’s go Eat at Red Lobster on Fridays…”
If you asked my old religion teacher about this subject, she would go on a tangent for three hours. Her opinion is very strong on the subject, and I am sure there are many others out there with the same opinion. The thing is you give up meat on Friday’s because it is a sacrifice. Back then (as well as some meat now,) meat was a major delicacy. To give up meat was a pretty big deal, and to tell you the truth, it is for me today. (For more information, go  here )

But instead of eating meat you go to Red Lobster and spend 50 dollars on a fulfilling, yummy meal.  Is that really a sacrifice? I mean, I would rather go to Red Lobster’s than eat some soggy fish sticks. If you really think about it, we humans try to make up for things that we don’t want in the wrong way. In other words, if we don’t like something, we will get something bigger and better. Is that really the way to go? 

If you are really craving some meat, then that’s good. It means you’re feeling the pain. J That is kind of the goal of giving up something! You want to feel the pain so you can know you are resisting the temptation.

I know that some churches have Fish Fries. (Oh my church makes the best fried cod… so good.) And it kind of goes along with Red Lobster… BUT you are supporting your church. And you are with your fellow Catholic community to gather together to celebrate the mystery of Lent.  And it’s a different story if you went once or twice during Lent, instead of every Friday. Many often go to Stations of the Cross after. Get where I’m going? I mean, don’t feel like a horrible person if you go to Red Lobster’s. It’s okay! Just rethink your food choices next time when you are supposed to abstain or fast.

Any other Lenten disclaimers you want me to address? Leave a comment below!
Have a great rest of your week! J

All through Christ,
       Maddie

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Madeline:

    I am so proud of you. Your blog is so inspirational and educational. I love you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete