Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bible or Bust: Psalm 86

Many times I have read this passage (Psalm 86) when I feel like I have failed God. Which is pretty much 24/7. :) I found this psalm when I was flipping through the Bible. I just happened to land on this page. (or was it divine intervention...:) ) After I read it a few times, I dubbed the psalm the 'Plea for Mercy', when in reality, it's named Psalm of Supplication and Trust. Take a moment to read over the passage. What title comes to your mind after reading it? (It's a long one so I will just give you a link.)

Psalm 86

No matter what you name it, the Psalm as a constant message that the author is portraying. "God, you are good and I trust you. Have mercy on me and listen to my prayer." Which is kind of the jist of the Old Testament, no? Most of the Old Testament contains covenants between God and His people. The covenants are made, kept for awhile, then soon broken. The people repent, and the cycle starts over again. Salvation History for you. :)
Think about your life. Are you like the Isrealites, making covenants with God and then breaking them? I know I sure am. It is alsmost always after an inspiring movie. I'm like "God I know what to do now! I am so sorry for being such a jerk before. You know, I am going to pray an hour every morning and evening and read the whole Bible by the end of the month! Yeah, I will be an excellent Christian!" (Come on, we have all attempted to read the whole Bible some time in our life. :) )

Two days later, your covenant is broken.

My advice to you: start small then progress to more and more time with Jesus. Eventually, it won't be a burden, it will be something to look forward to. (For more prayer tips, look on my Prayer Life tab above)

Find a passage in the Scripture like Psalm 86 that you would read when you need to say sorry to God. Because sometimes, it's hard to find the words to say. Share below in the comments or shoot me an email (randommusings13@gmail.com) about the passage you chose! I would love to hear from you!
Happy praying!

All through Christ,
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment