Wednesday, May 4, 2016

THEATRE


So this post is long overdue. But it's being written, so that is all that matters. :) (and also sorry for the useless title; I couldn't really find a good one hehe).

This past winter was probably one of the most exciting, stressful, and amazing seasons of my life. This past winter I had an amazing opportunity to be a part of the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers as Millie Pontipee.  This was my first chance at a lead outside of my school shows and it was such an amazing experience. I can't even begin to explain how much I have learned from it.

From the very beginning I knew that God was with me. Many of my friends and I were nervous about the casting because we had such a tangible taste at being a bride (since there is 7 after all). Also, many talented dancers were auditioning from other areas and it added even more pressure to have a good audition! I did get called back (if you aren't a theatre person, that is a good thing. It means that the directors want to see more of you in a particular character) and it was so fun! I didn't think for one minute that I even had a chance at a lead. Many of my other friends got called back, and it was pure torture waiting for the cast list.

The cast list finally came out, at 8:00 pm on a Sunday. I find it so funny (and definitely not
coincidental) that the list came out directly after an adoration hour my friends and I were helping out with. The entire time I was nervous as heck and trying to focus my mind on Jesus and not the million ways the cast list could go. My friend would tell me months later that during that time, she felt total peace. Before adoration she was just as nervous as I, but when she was looking at the monstrance she felt this overwhelming sense of peace. (Well I didn't get that, but it is a cool story).

It was insane. The very first thing that my friends did was congratulate me, even when one of them got a bride. I got calls from other theatre friends who were screaming and laughing and telling me how proud they were of me. I was speechless. Not only at the excitement of having my first lead in 11 shows, but at the support I already had from so many people.

A few days later, I walk up to my room to find a note on my bed. This note, from my parents, is something I will keep forever. :) They explained how proud they were of me, but also how they were praying daily that I may use this opportunity to shine for Jesus. That they may not see me, or Millie, but Jesus. They reminded me how all eyes would be watching me and my fellow leads, and how it will be pressuring. They told me that God chose this role for me since the moment I was conceived, and God had my back.

The rehearsal process was so amazing. I figured out how perfect the role of Millie was to play. I loved getting to know my fellow brides and brothers more, and to this day many of them remain close friends. AND GUYS THEY ARE SO TALENTED oh my gosh I felt so overwhelmed performing with such an amazing group of people. (Please remember me when you guys go on Broadway, okay?) I loved all the dancing, I loved all the songs, and I loved being able to be someone else for a couple of hours. The directing team was amazing. My fellow cast mates were amazing. If you haven't guessed yet, the whole entire experience was amazing. (This is an example of the phrase "I don't even know how to put it into words" haha).

Show week came up faster than I would care to admit. I didn't want the experience to end, and I tried to savor every moment. I was in many shows before 7 Brides, but that didn't help the nerves and the stress that show week. My voice wasn't feeling top notch, some of the lifts I did with my partner weren't coming together, and the constant pressure of not messing up was indeed messing with me. I had fun on stage, but I would go home and slave over the lines I missed, the cues I skipped, the dance moves I messed up.

But what got me through were my friends and my family. I could not have done anything without my friend Lindsay. She wasn't in the show, so she was the perfect person to rant everything to. She was always there for me, she was always calming me down and telling me how everything was going to be okay.  (Thank you Lindsay :D). The brides were so amazing, and I had so much fun getting to know them and lean on them during show week. I can't believe I know such talented people. My parents were very patient with me when I would come home either crying, or jumping and singing at the top of my lungs. My mom would constantly remind me, "Madeline, you can't do this without Jesus. Don't forget Him."

Thursday morning was the day of the first show. I took off school because I knew I wouldn't be able to focus that much. The best decision I made that day was to go to Adoration for a bit. There I found the sense of peace I needed for the show week. I let go of everything that was troubling me. I gave up my worries, my dances, my voice cracks, my bows, my glory. I gave it all to the One who gave the talents to me. It was a good feeling because I realized I don't need to carry everything around.

I was kind of expecting my prayer/faith life to be put on hold during show week because I would be so busy. But honestly, it was quite the opposite. I felt a bond with God stronger than I ever have before in my life.

And mannnnn those shows were the most fun I have ever had. Being able to do what I love constantly for an entire weekend with the people I loved was seriously the most amazing thing. For the most part, everything went well. Friends and family came down to see the show, and it was awesome getting to see their reactions. I loved hanging out with the cast after the show. I just loved everything.

The end of the show was hard. Imagine spending the last three-ish months with the same people who you have grown to love and then have all that taken away in just one moment. It was very hard for me, and even today I am suffering from "showpression".

But the things I learned during Seven Brides will always stick with me. I am so beyond grateful for this amazing opportunity that God gave me. God is so great UGH SO GREAT.

THINGS I LEARNED:

  1. Never expect a role. Never expect not getting a role. No expectations is probably the way to go. 
  2. Always say thank you to the directors. They deserve it. 
  3. Hang out with your fellow cast mates as much as you can. Friendship off stage= friendship on stage. 
  4. Drink a lot of tea. And water. 
  5. Little kids look up to you more than you ever know. A smile can make their day. 
  6. Don't wear socks when doing lifts. A fall is bound to happen. (May or may not be speaking from personal experience). 
  7. God is the only person that will get you through a show process. 
  8. You don't have to sing, act and dance full out all the time. 
  9. You don't have to keep it all in all the time. Find friends you can trust and vent to them. 
  10. The bows we take at the end of the shows aren't for ourselves. It's to direct the glory to God. 
I want to thank you guys for reading this... I don't know if this is so much written for you as it is for me. It's kind of therapeutic, writing down all these memories. :) Also quick thanks to everyone in Seven Brides- the directors, the cast, the brides and brothers, my parents... couldn't have done it without you. 

Until the next show,

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment